Wednesday 23 November 2011

You what now....?

Mrs. Newt rang me : I hadn't got the job.
"Oh well, thanks for letting me know...."
"Would you like some feedback?"
"Yes, sure"
"Well you knew your stuff but next time you might make more eye contact."
"Oh, erm...ok....."
This had me puzzled. I was making a pretty conscious effort to make eye contact.
I'm getting the hang of this interview lark..."eye contact", that's paragraph three,
Just after the part that tells you not to stare at the interviewer's tits.
"You mean during the interview I wasn't making eye contact?"
"Oh no" she replied "During your presentation"
I had to do a ten minute Powerpoint presentation on a subject they had given me and I had prepared the night before.
I had to use their laptop.
There was no projection facility so I had to read from a laptop screen which faced 180 degrees to the interview panel.
 I know ideally you don't read your presentation from a screen but as it was a subject they had just given me, I didn't exactly know it by heart.
And  I did keep turning round to them (with lots and lots of eye contact) when illustrating my points with some (admittedly largely fictitous) anecdotes from my working life.
I felt I should give some feedback to my feedback:
" er...how could I possibly make a lot of eye contact when I was reading off a little laptop screen, and the laptop was at the other end of the room facing the other way?"
"Yes" she said" I can see it would have been difficult"
I hope I had pressed the "end call" button on the 'phone before I screamed some rather harsh language.
So I have a plan:
 Next time I shall wear antennae, so that I can look two ways at once. 
And possibly paint myself blue.
These things may stand me in good stead.
I read that these days employers have to value diversity.




No comments:

Post a Comment