Thursday 23 June 2011

The Big Day Cometh





Well.....

Two interviews in one day. I thought a while. 
Is this too much?
What would Jesus have done?
Nah. I can do this.
So I arranged for one interview in the morning and another on the afternoon.
The morning interview contacted me to say that the venue had changed.
OK. Got that. Understood.Roger wilko and out.
Just as I was going out the door the phone rang.
"Sorry, we're running late. We'll be starting an hour later than we said"
uh-oh. Problem there.
That would mean I had to travel between Newcastle and Sunderland in-er-no minutes at all.
Rang up interview number two:
Can you change the time of my interview please?
You can?
Splendid. Back on track.
Pulled up at the hotel for interview One.
Called at reception.
"Just wait in the foyer please."
OK......
Thirty minutes passed and nobody showed up.
Thirty five minutes passed and an ex-colleague showed up, also for an interview for the same job.
Forty minutes later someone from the prospective employer showed up and took us to a room with two netbooks.
"Please watch the videos and then answer the questions.You have an hour."
My video was of a twenty year old girl who attacks people and wants eventually, to be a social worker.
I've known some social workers who were just like that, so she had potential.
I had to find my imaginary client some jobs and print them out.
OK. No problem. I found about seven vacancies. I also had to do her CV.
For some reason the computer decided to split the CV into two, bisected by a job vacancy.
Every time I moved my wrist the netbook would do something random. I think my sleeve kept catching the "do something random" key.
The other computer, operated by my colleague, wouldn't print at all.:
"We've spent all morning trying to set this up...."
So we had an hour.
I printed the imaginary client's CV and seven specimen jobs for her to pursue diligently.
Then we went upstairs for the interview.
"So did you find her any jobs?"
"Oh yes" I beamed" I found her lots of jobs, only...."
"Only?"
"Well one was for an "Adult store" so I'm not sure I'd be giving it to her.
I may need to consult policy"
They looked at me from over the desk. They may have kicked each other under the table as a
"We've a right one here" sort of signal
"May I see the vacancies you found?"
"Certainly" I beamed "This is the one for the...Adult Shop"
I handed it over and looked at the next print out...."and this is the one for the....er...."Adult Shop"
I looked at the third print-out "Oh dear"
They looked at me through suspicious eyes
"Is there a problem?"
"Well it appears that all the print outs are for the same vacancy in the ....."
"Adult shop?"
"I'm afraid so. They were all different when I copied and pasted, but now they're all for...."
"An Adult Shop?"
Er yes.
They were okay with this.
I suspect something similar may have happened before, although having just written that down I find it hard to believe.
We did a role play.
The female interviewer played the manager of the shop, and I was playing Captain Kirk trying to get my client in for an interview.
I was having no luck, and suspect I should have been wearing my car salesman's sheepskin jacket and been a bit more "insistent".
The role-play ended and the lady interviewer said:
"You'll be pleased to know that's the only role-play you'll be asked to do"
I thought for a moment, looked at my seven print-outs from the same "Adult Shop" and replied
"Oh that's a shame. Especially with all these sex aids about......"
Well I thought it was funny....




No comments:

Post a Comment