Friday 25 March 2011

A Bigger Boat

24th March 2011
 I spied an advert for "Mental Health Advocate" which led me to yet another agency: Hays Recruitment, and sent off my CV as directed. And.... they needed yet another CRB check.
I said: well....if I get another CRB check done for you guys, what are the chances of you actually finding me a job?
 I think she had heard this question before.
"Well obviously we cannot guarantee anything.....but these mentor posts are with a Really Big employer who has lots of jobs".
Well call me untrustworthy but if an agency can't promise me anything then why add to the pile of CRB's I already have?
Would I take my car to a garage that told me they"couldn't guarantee they could fix it but they'd have a look provided I gave them some money first?"
No. Probably not.
If they're that confident how about they offer to pay for the CRB and you pay them back out of your first paycheck? I'd go with that.
So I declined ...and then went to my computer and did a search for "Mental Health Advocate" posts in my area.
After all, an agency is a third party and surely a Really Big employer would look in more than one place-they would advertise with Job Centres or on their own websites. After all, everyone has a website these days. Even me.
Despite a mega Google search no trace of any such vacancies was mentioned anywhere else.
Far be it for me to suggest that agencies make up vacancies that don't really exist in order to recruit more clients and so reach their targets....
Isn't it odd:  Agencies promise you the world until they get your money for their CRB check, and the worker has met his target by recruiting you, but once this is done they go *ping* and totally and completely vanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment