Friday 13 May 2011

The Day I Became a Terrorist


Being as I have farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr too much time on my hands I tend to mooch about and take photographs more often than I used to.
The last time I was driving through Teesside I couldn't help but notice the post-industrial post-apocalyptic wasteland and think....hmmmmnnnnn. This would make a great photographic essay!
So today we happened to be driving through Haverton Hill, in Cleveland when we passed all these cooling towers and interestingly-shaped...stuff.
So I said "ok stop the car".
Now I know the phrase "ok stop the car" sometimes happens in these big Hollywood movies starring Denzel Washington, but they're usually outside a bank in Chicago with a carful of people carrying Glocks and wearing hosiery on their heads and not me carrying a crappy digital camera in Teesside.
Anyway...I'm walking along a public footpath beside a public highway breathing public air and I hear this voice that says
"Excuse me, can I ask why you're taking photographs?"
I turned to find a middle-aged bloke in a navy sweater standing outside a compact car.
No badges.
No ID .
No anything.
"Erm. I like taking photographs...industrial landscapes-you know?"
By the blank look on his face he didn't.
"Would you mind if I asked you for your name and address?"
I looked at him like I would look at something I find stuck to the bottom of my boot on  hot summer's day.
"No"
"No, you wouldn't mind?" he attempted, speculatively
"No. I have no intention of giving you my name and address" I replied
"Oh" he said, dischuffed "Why is that then?"
I breathed in...."Well for a few reasons...one because this isn't East Germany before the wall came down, and you aren't the Stasi"
"Stasi?" he asked. "Ah" he thought. "A foreign word. he MUST be a terrorist."
"The Stasi" I explained, in a loftily condescending tone" were the East German secret police."
If I'd said the same thing to my goldfish I'd have had the same expression.
And No. I don't own a goldfish.
The goldfish was fighting for breath "Its just that we have to be on alert for terrorists"
I looked at him, probably with the look one gives a disobedient goldfish.
" I see.
Do you think if I was Taliban I would be walking around Cleveland with a camera in broad daylight?"
"...for security reasons I have to ask you....."
I looked at him.
"You know something? For generations our father's fought and died to keep this country free from this. From you"
He got in his car and drove off.
I defiantly took some more pictures (I think the lens cap was on, but hell-it's the principle) then I got back into my car.
Evening came.
I had just taken a bath and the doorbell rang.
From the voices I gathered it was an official call.
It was a police officer.
In a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE van.
Here to investigate a report of possible terrorist activity.
He was okay.
They usually are.
Individually.
I explained the situation to him, and he seemed mildly amused.
I felt offended by the "mildly" amused bit as I thought the whole thing was totally hysterical by this stage.
The PC explained: "It's just that some areas are part of the Infrastructure Hub and may be vulnerable to terrorist activity"
""and is this Haverton Hill  part of the Infrastructure Hub?" I asked
He looked briefly up at me from his notes, sighed and replied: "I really couldn't say"
"..but it's a part of the infrastructure?"
"Exactly"
"But isn't there rather a lot of this "infrastructure" in the country? I mean. Isn't everywhere part of this "infrastructure?"
He shrugged in a way that only a man who wanted to get back to the station for a coffee could shrug.
He left in a polite and faintly embarrassed way.
You know the real worry to me is that this really does represent our way of locating and dealing with terrorist threats.
Citizen with a camera, broad daylight.
Let's send a cretin with no ID to ask "Terrorist" to explain himself, then divert a copper and a van from a real crime scene to investigate when he tells him to sod off.
If the Bad Guys really wanted to blow up Billingham they would find the system this stupid.





No comments:

Post a Comment