Thursday 14 April 2011

Ghost Job

Yesterday upon the stair
I met a job that wasn’t there
It wasn’t there again today
Oh, how I wish it'd go away
When I came home last night at three
This job was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall
I couldn’t see it there at all!
Go away, go away, don’t you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don’t slam the door
Last night I saw upon the stair
The little job just wasn’t there
It wasn’t there again today
Oh, how I wish it'd  go away  
     
(Apologies to: William Hughes Mearns (1875-1965)
Well, there I was looking on Reed Recruitment's website and there were all these jobs, which led me to Neca Recruitment, who were, apparently, offering them:   " Sessional work with people with mental health needs." That'll do nicely to tide me over.
Hang on, though. Aren't I with Neca Recruitment already and didn't I just check their website. And didn't I  discover none of these vancancies????
I'll take another look..................nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno. No. Nothing there.
So I sent an email to "Craig". My Link Man at Neca Recruitment. I HAVE mentioned him before.
Did you nod off?
No answer from Craig.
So I sent a generic email via the online form on the Neca website.
What's going on with these jobs that don't seem to be on your website but are being advertised by third parties as being available with you guys....and why isn't dear old Craig talking to me any more? Did we fall out?
The reply shot back:
"I have picked this up as Craig is no longer with NECA Recruitment..... 
I was aware of the "sessional adverts" however they are not live vacancies, they are requests for candidates to contact us to join our register for upcoming sessional work which is why I didn’t connect them to yourself as you are already registered so they would not apply to you.
To be honest ....

....a lot of vacancies we work on do not get advertised as they are filled so quickly but anyone who is registered with us (i.e. you) would naturally be considered depending on what skills are required"
So there you have it.
From the horses mouth.
If you see a job advertised it doesn't mean it really exists.
It doesn't matter where it's advertised-it might be on the Jobcentre Plus website-you know-the site that David Cameron uses to tell us how many jobs are available and unfilled.
Because jobs are on a website it doesn't mean that they really exist.
It might mean somebody is trying to lure you into their clutches and help meet their targets and put your bum on their seats.
I think these jobs are a bit like the Loch Ness Monster.
The job/beastie possibly existed at some stage.
Perhaps the job/beastie might exist again at some future time.
But right now, at this very moment, they're probably both a figment of an overactive haggis.

No comments:

Post a Comment